Women’s-Specific Avalanche Education Scholarships Return For 2023-2024 Winter Season
November 20, 2023
Seattle, Washington (November 20, 2023)/SPORTSWIRE WOMEN/ – Backcountry Access and the American Avalanche Association are pleased to announce that they are once again coming together to present a scholarship program for female-identifying avalanche professionals. The $1,500 per-candidate scholarships will provide tuition support for women taking their Professional Level 1 or Professional Level 2 Avalanche Courses in the US. The program seeks to further the representation of women in a field where they have been historically underrepresented.
“Last year’s scholarship program was a huge success and we were eager to continue partnering with BCA to support women in the avalanche industry again this winter,” notes Jayne Nolan, Executive Director of the American Avalanche Association. “Cost is typically one of the main barriers to the industry and to continued education. These scholarships are one way in which we can help minimize that barrier.”
A3 and BCA hope that in continuing to support this initiative, they will be opening doors to those who would have otherwise struggled to pursue a career in this field.
About the importance of financial aid, Katy Lanfri, one of last year’s recipients explains, “Beyond technical skills, this scholarship afforded me the opportunity to plug into a new community of peers, each with their own unique backgrounds and experience. Most notably, I was incredibly fortunate to have a female instructor and several dedicated female peers in my course with similar career aspirations. These connections and mentorship opportunities are and will remain invaluable throughout my professional development.”
The following are the six current Pro Training Course Providers and scholarship recipients will be able to apply the $1,500 to the school of their choice:
- Alaska Avalanche School
- American Avalanche Institute
- American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education (AIARE)
- Colorado Mountain College
- National Avalanche School
- Silverton Avalanche School
- Recipient must be a current Affiliate or Professional Member of the American Avalanche Association (A3).
- Recipient must utilize scholarship for Pro 1 or Pro 2 Course with an Approved A3 Provider.
- Scholarship must be utilized during the 2023-2024 winter season.
- Recipients must submit a Course Completion Certificate following the completion of their course. Upon receipt, the recipient will receive a reimbursement check for tuition.
- Scholarship cannot be used for travel or other related expenses.
- Scholarship recipients must provide headshot and bio to A3/BCA as well as a follow up quote and photo to be used in BCA and A3 promotional materials.
Please fill out the submission form found here.
Applications are DUE by December 15, 2023.
Please contact Jayne Nolan at Jayne@avalanche.org with any questions regarding the application process or scholarship.
About Backcountry Access
Backcountry Access (BCA) is a leading manufacturer of snow safety equipment, including BCA TrackerTM avalanche transceivers, FloatTM avalanche airbags, BC LinkTM radios, MtnProTM snowmobile gear, avalanche probes, and shovels. BCA’s mission is to save lives, not just sell products. BCA considers avalanche education to be as important as its avalanche safety equipment and delivers all its products with consumer education and knowledgeable customer service.
About the American Avalanche Association
The American Avalanche Association (A3) is the governing body of avalanche education standards in the US. A3 promotes professionalism and expertise within the avalanche industry for the benefit of all who work, play, or travel in avalanche country.